Smart Discovery Practices Required for Addressing Smartphone DiscoveryOctober 3, 2017
Key eDiscovery Insights for the Courts and Counsel from the Federal Judicial CenterNovember 14, 2017
We are well into October and for the eDiscovery profession, that means Relativity Fest is right around the corner. I attended last year for the first time and have some recommendations for anyone coming to their inaugural Relativity Fest this year.
- Create your agenda: Go to the Relativity Fest portal to build your agenda. Do this now if you haven’t already. The sessions have limited seating so space can fill up quickly. If you are attending with colleagues, divvy up the sessions to get as much information as possible.
- Download the app: Relativity knows how to organize a conference, and this means they developed a phone app to assist attendees. Two main benefits to last year’s app were:
- Access to your agenda and the ability to change your schedule on the fly (keep an eye out because you might be able to get into that booked session); and
- A map of the facilities (this seems deceptively basic but considering the number of sessions and size of the conference room facilities, it is a must).
- Bring battery backup: No doubt you will be using your phone most of the day, so be sure to bring a backup battery or charging device. Relativity did provide charging stations last year so you can recharge in a pinch.
- Take advantage of the complimentary certification exam: All attendees of Relativity Fest can elect to take one complimentary speciality exam. If you haven’t even thought of studying yet, you can always give one a go. Make sure to include a block of time in your agenda schedule so you can fit this in. This complimentary exam does not include the RCA.
- Attend the Judicial Panel: Last year’s judicial panel was one of my favorite sessions and was well-attended. You’ll have plenty of time to go to a RegEx or Analytics session, so don’t miss this one.
- Check out the Relativity Partner Hall: Another benefit of attending Relativity Fest is getting a demo of multiple products that make up the Relativity App Hub. It is an efficient way of getting familiar with customized products. You or your client may not need one now, but you’ll be one step ahead providing a solution once the need is realized.
- Attend the Relativity Fest Party: The venue is top-notch, the lighting and music provides a good mental break from the sessions, and the drinks/food aren’t bad either. Even if you don’t stay long, take time to grab a drink and walk around the museum.
- Step Away: Chicago in October is a gorgeous time to visit the city. Take some time to talk a walk, see the sites, and eat some of that famous pizza. If you really want to get in the mood for Chicago, read The Devil in the White City on your flight in.
- Download the Relativity Fest Presentations: After Relativity Fest has wound down, Relativity makes all of the session presentations and supporting documents available for download. Be sure to grab these as an easy way to share with your colleagues. This also gives you freedom during session to absorb the information without excessive note-taking.
Interested in some of my other blog posts? If so, read some of my other articles focusing on Cybersecurity, The Evolving Threat of Ransomware and Data Breach Lawsuit Highlights: Standing & the Fading Impact of Clapper.